Tutka was started in 1999 as Professional Services & Safety Instruments, LLC (dba PSI Environmental & Instrumentation, LLC) to provide onsite gas detection installation, repair and sales to drilling companies on the North Slope in Alaska. We had small children, were 22 & 30 years old, had no capital, and BIG dreams. We quit our jobs and leapt in! It was a struggle for the first five years to make ends meet, but in 2003 we got a break!
With our backgrounds in the environmental field, we added turn-key environmental services. With that we obtained environmental contracts with Exxon Mobile, Fairweather E&P Services, Global Marine and then FINALLY The U.S. Army under a sole-source 8(a) contract. Our revenue grew from $20,000 our first year in business to over $2 million in 2003. 2003-2008 were years of expansion, growth, staffing and building the basic infrastructure of a small business. It was not easy and most people would have given up, but not us!
We discontinued our instrumentation services in 2008 and focused our resources on heavy civil construction projects. Due to this “leap of faith” our revenue grew to approximately $5.5 million in 2011. The company continues to evolve by embracing change. We are continually shifting our focus to our niche services and by holding our business relationships close. We find partners large and small and work together to grow each other’s businesses. Tutka is 75% owned by Amie Sommer and 25% owned by her husband John Sommer.
Contracting with Tutka, LLC is advantageous for clients because we are certified by the Small Business Administration (SBA) as a Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) and HUBZone contractor.
We are also certified by the State of Alaska as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE). Below is a list of the work categories Tutka, LLC is approved for.
- COST ESTIMATIONS-CONSULTANT
- DEMOLITION OF STRUCTURES-CONSTRUCTION
- EARTHWORK-EXCAVATION & EMBANKMENT-CONSTRUCTION
- EARTHWORK-SITE WORK-CONSTRUCTION
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONSULTANT
- EROSION, SEDIMENT, AND POLLUTION CONTROL
- HAZARDOUS MATERIAL REMOVAL/REMEDIATION-CONSTRUCTION
- HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INVESTIGATION/REMEDIATION-CONSULTANT
- HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TESTING-CONSULTANT
- PERMITTING CONSULTANT
- SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan)-CONSULTANT
NAICS Code and Description:
- 23731 — Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction
- 23799 — Other Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction
- 54162 — Environmental Consulting Services
- 56291 — Remediation Services
- 562998 – All Other Miscellaneous Waste Management Services